Sultana Insider

By Students, for Students

Sultana Insider

Sultana Insider

We Wanna Know

This poll has ended.

What is the Best Pizza Topping?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

Review of Drama’s Puffs!

What happens when you take an unlikely trio, and add an inflatable dragon? Well, you get “Puffs, or Seven Increasingly Eventful Years at a Certain School of Magic, and Magic” the Sultana style.

Written by Matt Cox, “Puffs” is the universally-loved Harry Potter storyline and lore, but from the perspective of the adorkable Hufflepuff members. This show was a planned improv piece that was never meant to go anywhere other than its five show run in New York. Lo and behold, a tiny piece of the legacy grazed the stage of Sultana High School on March fourteenth through the sixteenth.

I was gifted with two opportunities to see the show which truly helped me capture the essence of the show. Audience members—such as myself—may have found it hard to lean into the story at first, because of the general lackluster nature of the Hufflepuffs. However the ending had a greater impact due to the initial hesitation.

The story follows Wayne Hopkins, an orphaned wizard, who attends a “certain school of female magic and male magic”, who is troubled during the sorting ceremony, because he does not feel smart, brave or snake-like. There he meets Oliver, a math prodigy, and Megan, a villain with a heart of gold.

Cox’s storyline is enjoyable on its own but really stands out when you recognize the small details and fine nods to the original. The cast was able to create this troupe between the Puffs’ individual personalities, and flesh out relationships between characters.

By the end of act one, there was a death, which is always an interesting tackle on stage, but it was possible with the help of an omnipotent narrator. Jamie Fuentes’ performance of the narrator was definitely a highlight, her craft in blending dry wit with comedic spacing was a delight.

Within the second half, larger pieces of original plot start to unfurl, and there is an examination of Jolie Gonzales’ Megan and her mother Xavia. When Xavia is unable to produce a killing spell, she reveals that she may not be evil as she tries to be and Megan proclaims both of their identities as Hufflepuffs.

In the end Hufflepuffs realize that they may not be the smartest, bravest or coolest, but they have something in common that sets them apart: determination and optimism. Wayne, played by junior Julian Chavez, was able to articulate such a dynamic character that learned the merit in failure.

Due to the large cast of the show, many students had to be double-casted, noticeably, senior Nathan De Haro, who played Cedric Diggery and Mr. Voldy, two vastly different characters.

Honorable mentions go out to everyone who played multiple characters.

Many elements of the show were fondly appreciated, including the hundreds of sound effects, lighting design, and special effects.

The cast and crew along with the dedicated Carrie Kirk, brought magic to the stage once again.