Women’s History Month

Byran Lazo, Staff Writer

What’s so important about Women’s History Month? Women’s History Month has been established since 1987, and has been important ever since. One of the important reasons why we have this month is to dedicate a month to reflect on the often-overlooked contributions of women to United States history. There are many people that influence this month such as Abigail Adams, Susan B. Anthony, Sojourner Truth, and Rosa Parks. According to Britannica 

Women’s history month is celebrated in March because “14 states recognized March as Women’s History Month, and the next year the U.S. Congress established Women’s History Month as an annual federally recognized observance. Each sitting U.S. president since 1995 has issued a yearly proclamation honoring the role of American women in history.”

Women’s history month is a important opportunity to recognize the many women who have made significant contributions to society often in the face of great adversity and discrimination it is a time to remember the women who have paved the way for future generations,from the suffragettes who fought for women’s rights to vote to the women who have broken barriers in fields like science, politics, and the arts. According to a senior at sultana high school, Giada Sadach she says “women’s history month is very important to us and it’s our job to do the same, fight for our rights so that the older generations should’ve had to and live without being judged, criticized, or mistreated.” This quote in itself is very strong, she explained how in the past the women did their job in getting women’s rights and now today’s generation should do the same, and so on.

Women’s history month is also an opportunity to acknowledge the ongoing struggle for gender equality and the advocates for women’s rights. Despite progress, women continue to face discrimination and unequal treatment in many areas, including the workplace, education, and healthcare. Women’s history month is a reminder that we still have work to do to achieve gender equality and to ensure that women’s voices are heard and valued. According to another senior in sultana high school, Alexah Casillas she says ‘Women’s history month is useless, there shouldn’t be a month that justifies women’s rights, we shouldnt be discriminated period whether it’s just a week or a month, women are other human beings not some object” The Quote highlights the ongoing struggle for gender equality and the need to eliminate discrimination against women. It expresses  the view that women’s history month, while a positive celebration of women’s achievements, is ultimately unnecessary because women’s rights should be respected and protected all year round. The quote emphasizes the need to view women as equal human beings rather than as objects to be discriminated against or celebrated in a limited timeframe. overall , the quote underscores the importance of ending discrimination against women and promoting gender equality