Sultana Insider

By Students, for Students

Sultana Insider

Sultana Insider

We Wanna Know

This poll has ended.

What is the Best Pizza Topping?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

Sultana Fall Spotlight

Come hear Sultana’s choir perform!

On September 13, prepare for an evening of performances in the multi-purpose room (MPR) where the all-female vocal ensemble will make their first appearance. This year, the advanced audition-only choir is all female and they will be singing at Sultana High School’s annual Fall Spotlight. This event is the first opportunity of the year that allows students to sing songs of their choice. 

Students may audition with any solo, duet, or group they wish and if the song gets approved by the teacher, Breanna Williams, then it is performed. However this year for the first time in Sultan history, the advanced ensemble group will be providing a song alongside others. Traditionally any performance is judged on a criteria covering many critical aspects such as pitch, staging, rhythm, etc. This being so, an ensemble number is interesting to throw into the mix.

“Anyone in choir can audition for it. You audition in front of the class and Williams makes the ultimate decision along with other predetermined numbers” said Lexi Redmond, choir president, offering insight into who sings. The predetermined numbers are designated for classes such as musical theater and this year’s vocal ensemble.

Typically the evening includes roughly 15 to 18 songs and lasts around 90 minutes. Since there is no theme for the event, students are allowed to select any song of their choice but encouraging musical theatre selections. This event typically serves as a fundraiser, as audience members are charged $5, all proceeds going to choir funds. The difference between this year and other years is the full ensemble only performs during concert nights, which are once a semester. 

Singing as an ensemble allows younger and less experienced singers to get performance exposure without worrying about singing by themselves. Shyanne Bantau, third-year choir member, explains that she loves performing with her peers saying, “I feel amazing and confident and like my true self. Being on stage and performing is where I am able to truly be the person I want people to see me as.” She is waiting with anticipation to sing with her all-female peers.

The song selection is Wallace Willis’ “Swing Low Sweet Chariot”, this barbershop-style song will be a rhythmic delight for audience members. Sultana’s choir enjoys a good barbershop number. We hope to see you there.