Sultana’s Vending Machines… Or Not

Lily Rodriguez

For some, the best part of the day is eating a good snack after finishing up school work.  Sultana’s vending machines make that possible, or do they?  

Sultana’s vending machines have been nothing but inconsistent.   They are not open during nutrition or during passing periods. So, when are students supposed to get snacks? 

The principle here at Sultana, Mr. Bird states, “The vending machines compete with the other foods during nutrition so they are turned off.” This is, in fact, a federal regulation.  So unfortunately, there is not much to be done about it. Sultana is just following the rules. 

With this regulation in mind, I still wonder why the machines are turned off during passing periods since there are no competing foods at those times.  While the regulation is written to cover school hours, this feels like an oversight.  It seems unfair to define competition so broadly.  

Wyatt Arrest, a sophomore here at Sultana, explains, “I wasted a dollar on the vending machine only to realize they don’t work during the passing period.”  This is a tragedy that has happened to far too many Sultana students.   

Although there is lunch and nutrition, some students do not eat at home and they want an extra snack throughout the day. Coach O, a proctor  here at Sultana, stated, “Usually kids get upset that they are not able to get their snacks.” This is understandable considering hunger can turn into hanger, and not being able to get a snack causes more aggravation.   

Vending machines are an asset to Sultana, yet, half the time they are broken or malfunctioning. Alexandra Encizo, a sophomore here at Sultana stated, “It would be easier if they sold snacks at the student store because most of the time the vending machines don’t work.” At this point, why are the vending machines even here? 

The vending machines tease students, making it upsetting that they are not able to get the snacks they want. There are rules the district has to abide by and the vending machines are an unfortunate casualty of these restrictions.